In sports, it is fruitless to compare teams from different eras, and even more pointless to compare teams from different sports. It’s somewhat easier with comic books.
Comic book teams change their roster almost as often as sports teams. Therefore, we are going to be specific which version of a team we are referring to. Of course we could cheat and just choose ten iterations of one squad (e.g.: Avengers, Justice League), but I have felt honor-bound not to use duplicates on my lists. In this instance, Keith agreed.
One final note: some of my choices are based on the lineup from the cartoon shows. My justification is that even though the cartoon came first, the publisher (in both cases, it’s DC Comics) issued a series based on the show, once the show became popular. We never said comic had to come first; just that a comic book version exists.
With that in mind, here are our lists.
The Top Ten Comic Book Teams
- 10. The Fantastic Four
- 9. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- 8. Thundercats
- 7. The Sinister Six
- 6. Spider Man & his Amazing Friends (Firestar & Iceman)
- 5. (tie) The Autobots & The Decepticons
- 4. Science Ninja Team Gatchman (a.k.a.: G-Force; a.k.a.: “Battle of the Planets”)
- 3. X-Men (1990’s TV lineup)
- 2. The Justice League of America (circa 1980’s)
- 1.(tie) The Avengers (movie lineup & Ultimates lineup)
- 10. Teen Titans (2000’s TV lineup)
- 9. Alpha Flight (1980’s lineup)
- 8. The Justice League (2000’s TV lineup)
- 7. X-Force (1990’s version)
- 6. The Avengers (1970’s lineup)
- 5. The Watchmen (in-univese 1970’s lineup)
- 4. Power Man & Iron Fist
- 3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle (1984 black & white comic)
- 2. X-Men (1980’s lineup)
- 1. The Fantastic Four
Honorable Mentions: Cloak & Dagger; Power Pack; X-Factor (original lineup); The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen; The Justice League of America (original lineup); The Defenders; The Suicide Squad; G.I. Joe (the 1985 lineup); The
Justice Society America (1940’s).
Next Podcast Unlimited List: Top Ten vigilantes.